JERS welcomes volunteers to assist refugees on either a regular or occasional basis. These are some additional examples of volunteer opportunities:
- Interpreting, for volunteers with linguistic abilities in Spanish, French, Arabic and other languages
- Soliciting and organizing pickups of donations of household goods. View list of needed items
- Driving the agency truck (no heavy lifting required) for furniture pickup and/or delivery
- Setting up apartments in advance of refugees' arrivals
- Shopping on behalf of or with refugees
- Providing cultural or community orientation to newly arrived families (introducing them to the bus system, laundromat, library, post office, parks, zoo, etc.)
- Assisting in the office with telephone reception, data entry, graphic design, etc.
- Helping to plan and organize special outings or events for refugees, church sponsors, volunteers, etc.
- Community outreach through the agency's Speakers Bureau, newsletter and mailings
- Fundraising activities
Volunteers say that being involved with Journey's End is a rewarding, enriching experience. To discuss volunteering, contact:
Andy Cammarata, Community Liason
Phone: (716) 573-6121
Email: Send Email