Jump Start Program
VOLUNTEER TEACHERS- FULL DAYS (FIVE WEEKS)
Buffalo Public Schools Jump Start Program is designated for new refugee students who are in the US for one year or less. Each intern/volunteer instructor will pair with one teacher from Buffalo Public School in each classroom instruction. During the Buffalo Public School teacher’s recess the Journey's End volunteer instructors will teach students by themselves using Refugee School Impact Program Curriculum.
The Volunteer will support following duties with Public School Teachers
- Volunteer instructor will provides assistance to classroom teacher in preparing lesson plans and instructing students. Co-evaluates and monitors student's performance.
- Will assist newly arrived English Language Learners (ELL) students with literacy skills, academic language development, and school acculturation in preparation for September.
- Co-plan, prepare and deliver instructional activities that facilitate active learning experiences.
- Develop lesson plans from RSIP Curriculum.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Prepare classroom for class activities.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment.
- Use relevant technology to support instruction.
- Observe and evaluate student performance and development.
- Provide appropriate feedback on student work.
- Monitor and encourage individual student progress.
- Provide guidance to students which will promote educational development.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of student progress and development.
- Update records accurately and completely as required by laws and district policies.
- Manage student behavior and maintain discipline by establishing classroom rules and procedures and enforcing classroom, school, and district rules and procedures.
- Cooperate with and participate in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of the total school program.
- Foster and maintain effective communication with parents and/or guardians.
- Perform other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by Journey's End Coordinator and or the Principal or other appropriate administrator.
Beaver Island Summer Camp
The 5th week, volunteer instructions support the camp; describing each craft for students for daily themes, Monday: Safari, Tuesday: Ocean, Wednesday: Park, Thursday Jungle and Friday: Carnival/Circus.
They will also co-plan and perform Game/Activity Teams such as (Partner Tag Drip Drip Splash, Water Balloon, Beach Volleyball, Crows and Cranes, Lion's Den and Sharks and Minnows etc.
Other duties will include chaperone students in different activities, serve them breakfast snacks and lunch. Monitoring them during swimming and make them ready for dismissal and board the bus.
WHO Can Apply.
Volunteers with Education Background or currently in college and pursuing Education Major is preferred but other volunteers with experience in other fields or currently in college for Non Educational Degree can also apply.
The Jump Start Program will take place at School 45, 141 Hoyt St. Buffalo NY 14213.
When: Monday to Friday, from July 10th to August 4th 2017 (7:30am to 2:30pm)
The Camp: will take place from Monday, August 7 to Friday August 11, 2017 at Beaver Island State Park, 2136 Oakfield Rd, Grand Island NY 14072. Time: 7:00am to 3:00pm.
Note: Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please. We will ONLY contact you if we are interested in setting up an interview.